The Four Cornerstones of Early Head Start are:
- Child Development: Parenting and health education that is developmentally appropriate and culturally sensitive.
- Family Development: and empowering families’ abilities to support and nurture their children by meeting social and economic goals. Encouraging leadership through participation in Policy Council.
- Staff Development: Continuous training to assure that services are relevant and of high quality.
- Community Building: Increasing the community’s capacity to support its families and children.
Early Head Start can help you:
- answer questions about your pregnancy, labor and delivery
- discover the latest ideas in baby care and development
- learn about playing with your infant and toddler
- and plan a healthy future for you, your baby and your family.
You can take advantage of supportive home visits which:
- provide you and your family with your own “Parent Partner”
- share early childhood health and development information
- and include fun, educational activities for you, your baby and the whole family to do together
You can be part of:
- parent/child socialization groups
- parent support and education activities
- community events
- policy council and parent committees
- and family literacy projects
You can connect with community resources like:
- prenatal care
- well-child care
- food, through WIC and other nutrition services
- support services for you and your child
- education and job training
- family planning services
- and child development programs
- Child Care
- Family Literacy Training
You are eligible for Early Head Start if you are:
- pregnant or have a child under 3 years of age
- a teen parent or a foster parent
- are living below the poverty level, receiving TANF benefits or S.S.I. benefits
- homeless, or hidden homeless (couch-surfing)
- and living in the districts of North and South Kona, Waikoloa, North and South Kohala, Ka’u Kamuela or Honoka‘a
For More Information
- Kona (West Hawai‘i Early Head Start): 808-334-4123 or 808-334-4138
- Waimea: 808-885-0086 x 12
- Ka’u: 808-939-7028
- Online form here.